.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

These Seats are Reserved...

Have you ever seen the signs on the subway that say, "Priority Seating." No? They're probably hidden behind the fat, sweaty fvck sitting in those seats.

Today it's fvcking hot in NYC. FVCKING HOT! OK? People smell, everyone's extra cranky, and the sizzle is on. The incident I'm about to describe has happened so many times, I couldn't even guess a number. But it happened again today. And I know we're hurting for BOTS fodder, so here you go.

I'm on the train. It's crowded, but I manage to squeak a seat beside some fat ba$tards. On the train comes a VERY pregnant woman. There are no seats. I look around. No one cares. If they feel any guilt, they cover it up by quickly glancing away and burying their noses in their papers, books or whatever.

I wait.

'Fvck.' I think to myself. 'Why do I always have to give up MY seat?'

A few more stops pass. The train is super crowded now and prego is getting squished.

Still I wait. No one says anything. 'Fvck, fvck, fvck, fvck...' I keep repeating in my head as I feel my blood begin to boil. Listen (or read, rather), I'm a modern gal, but I feel that this is a perfect opportunity for SOMEONE, ANYONE to show that chivalry isn't dead and get the fvck up. I think that someone should be a man, but those are few and far between here. There were plenty of young, healthy looking men in seats. Why didn't they get up?

With a sigh (you know it was loud enough for ALL to hear) I get up slowly and say, "Excuse me, miss." to the prego. "Would you like to take this seat since not one "man" (and yeah, I made the quote signs a la Britney's interview with Lauer) here is kind enough to move?"

No one even looked, but prego said, "Thank you." and looked so grateful that I had to admit that I should have gotten up a few stops earlier than I did.

As Peter Griffin would say, this really grinds my gears. Equal rights and all, but come on. Gentlemen are still appreciated. I probably would have blown any guy that stood up before me out of sheer wonder! OK, no I wouldn't have, but I would have respected him! No one gives a fvck here. It's sad, but true. To each his own and fvck you seems to be our motto.

Lots of curses in this post! It's the heat.

No it isn't. I have a foul mouth so fvck you!

I had a picture to post, but Blogger is a piece of sh!t.

Is it Friday yet???

11 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger FatMom said...

Kat...you are a real inspiration for all of womankind! Sorry to hear it's so hot in NYC, but despite the sticky heat, your heart still shines through. BTW, I'll bet preggo would have blown any dude who offered up HIS seat. Even fatty-mcpatty with his dimpled $#@ stuck to the vinyl seat.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Fairmaiden327 said...

I have written about this repeatedly and this happened to me while I was pregnant in NY. At that time a small Japanese man raced in front of me while I was 8 months pregnant. My husband at the time beat the shit out of him.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger SarahReznor said...

well... you care kat... :)

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger SarahReznor said...

as smootchy would say - you cant change the world, but you can make a dent!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Elle said...

This is why women like ME are ANGRY and want to beat the SHIT out of the male species.

Fucking asshats.

I say we find a way to impregnate MEN so they can go through the swelling, the hemmorhoids, the LIVING BABY inside of you that thinks your ribs are a jungle gym and FINALLY....the birthing process. Through their little pee hole.

Assholes.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger  Jess said...

That really sucks. You can blame two things on that one.

First, fathers who neglect to teach their sons to be men.

Second, the women's lib movement gone too far. Sure I want to be treated as a man's equal, that means I want the same respect for hard work and the contributions I make to my family, my job, and society overall, that a man would get making the same contributions.

The women's lib movement did great things for us, but it also feminized a lot of men. Men are frustrated, they don't know what we want. They're taught now by their mommies that women want to do everything for themselves. Sure we want to be equal but we wanted to be treated like a lady too. Chivalry is not anti-woman actually it is pro-woman. Chivalry puts the woman on a pedestal. Chivalry is when the man goes to lengths to do things for a woman. Opening the door takes no liberation away from me, but it shows me that the man opening it has respect for me, even if he doesn't know me.

I am fortunate. My husband can be a pain at times, but he opens doors for people, all colors, races, genders, especially women and older people. My dad has always done it. I can go over to their house for the day to visit and if we're out on the porch and go in the house, as hard as it is for him to stand up and walk sometimes, he STILL opens the door and lets me, my mom, my sister and my grandmother go in FIRST before he goes. Men at work do it for me too. I have learned to pay close attention to men who do not do simple things like that.

As far as giving up the seat. I'd always give up my seat for a pregnant woman. Shame on those selfless individuals, especially the men. How would they feel if it were their wife on the train and nobody would do that?

We think nobody gives a damn anymore but you proved that people do. Congrats to you for having morals and values and for helping that woman!!!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Fairmaiden327 said...

Jessica, please marry me.

On a serious note, thank you for your statement. I am in awe. You said everything I believe in and stand for.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Sir Dirty Joke said...

I just discovered this blog by accident. it is pretty cool though. Blogger picture posts can drive you nuts. try using an outside hosting site for pictures, it will make your life easier. emial me if you want more info about those sites. be well.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I always give up my seat for pregnant women. Unless they're hot, then I tap my lap and say "Looking for some priority seating baby?"

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger v said...

lol @ bp

Well Kat, you're my hero for being the "man" among boys and kindly giving your seat.

Though I'd like to point out that Kat was the only person out of a sea of men AND women to give up her seat. This just proves my point that most people are selfish idiots.

Fin.

Yes, I like to end on a happy note.

 
At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I totally agree. My co-worker Wanda, when she enters a meeting to find no seats, says, "Are there any men in the house?" until one of the guys finally realizes he shouldn't be sitting while women are standing. Feminism or no feminism, men should not sit if women are standing. It's just common sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home