.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Talk Him Down to 10!


The other night I heard a commercial for that Chris Rock show "Everybody Hates Chris". He said that his dad felt that $10 could get you anywhere or anything in life. Little Chris said, "But Daddy, what if it costs $11?" His father replied, "Talk him down to 10!"

Well, I tried to do that today with one of our fine New York City street vendors. I wanted a pocketbook (that sounds so old and lame...a "bag" is what I really call it!) that was marked $15. Now, back in the back in the, you could haggle with the street vendors. In fact, most still do.

I said to this guy, "Hey man, can you do better than $15? I have $13 with me and I need to buy lunch." The man said, "$15 is a good deal! This is a beautiful bag! You won't find it for cheaper anywhere else."

Ever the haggler, I said, "C'mon dude, $10." (Remembering Chris Rock here) "A girl has to eat!"

He said, "Miss, this bag is $15. It ain't $10, it ain't even $13. $15 or nothing!"

Now, if he hadn't been such a d!ck about it, I probably would have ended up paying him $15. But, BOTS can't take that. I said, "If you're looking to lose money, that's your problem." I dropped the bag and took off.

I am going back after work. At 5:00pm (especially on a Friday) vendors get restless. They need to sell their sh!t. I'll let you know if I could talk him down to $10!

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

yeah. I need a new one too!
btw: you chicks are killin' me today! (and I wouldn't think that possible given this is the third stupid ass day with a headache from hell.)
Gracias!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said...

I suck at haggling. Usually the seller can talk me into paying MORE for it, that's how bad I suck at it.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Gabs said...

Poor Nello...group hug! Kat, you go tell that fool!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Lizzle said...

I hope you got yourself a lovely $10 bag.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Kat in da Hat said...

I didn't get it kids. Sigh.

That lazy bastard was gone by 5:00.

Screw him! There's plenty of other street bag guys willing to haggle.

I WILL SUCCEED!

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL..Kat a wink and smile and some leg can go a long way ;-)
carmie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home