.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Door Close, Door Close, Door Close


Someone recently told me about some comedian who jokes about how New Yorkers are the only ones who get into elevators and immediately begin hitting the "Door Close" button. How true! I myself am a fan of the old Door Close Move (which is this: get in elevator, select floor, press Door Close...three times...it makes it work faster! That's what I choose to believe anyway). I don't want any more people than necessary on an elevator! This is BOTS for God's sake!

Today I decided to take note of who pressed the Door Close button as I rode up and down in my building all day (hey, I have a LEGAL RIGHT to a smoke break...MULTIPLE smoke breaks). Wouldn't you know that EVERY SINGLE PERSON (minus one weirdo who looked like she was from Waukesha, Wisconsin so she doesn't count) that I saw get into the elevator pressed their floor and then pressed Door Close....repeatedly. One guy did press Door Close, but when a woman stuck her arm in the doors as they were shutting, he quickly hit Door Open. I was impressed with his hand to eye coordination, because I can't tell you how many times I've been in the same situation and accidentally hit Door Close instead of Door Open. Habit, I guess.

You knew New York City was exclusive....you just didn't know how far it went!

11 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger David Stehle said...

Funny you mentioned this because I almost did an elevator hack post for today. It will be coming up soon - a way to skip floors and skip having to wait for others to get on with you. Mean, yes but handy. ;)

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

funny! i do this too and i live in suburbia. i think it is the really busy and really late people that do this the most. i mean when you gotta be somewhere... you do what you gotta do.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

I hit the close door, too, and I live in St. Louis (for the time being - 9 more months!). And, in my apartment building, the "close door" button does NOT work, and I still can't stop hitting it - I'm obsessed with not riding up with my weird neighbors!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Gabs said...

Kat Im just lovin' this Seinfeld type commentary...and your site!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger v said...

wow. you gals are mean. but i know you all would be reaching for the "OPEN DOOR" button when you saw this sexy stud walking down the hallway.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Kat in da Hat said...

Thanks Gabs! You know we can't go without our daily dose of your celeb news!

G2...yikes! I hope I never did that to anyone and I will now think of your pinky when I hit that Door Close button.

tg8....MEOW!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger evilbuddha said...

I press the "Door Close" button. Why is that? Do I want to get to my desk faster? So I can work more… make more money… go out and buy more stuff… and come back and press the "Door Close" button…

My elevator has the "Door Open" button obscured. It does have a sensor to reopen if there is a blockage. I wouldn't trust them. I'd never stick an appendage into an elevator, period, after hearing the story of a building worker sticking his head into a stuck elevator and it moved suddenly, effectively guillotining him. What do you say to the people that had to occupy the elevator with newly severed head?

Great blog BTW… You say the things I think.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger markus said...

my hand ALWAYS goes to the "close door" button. especially when someone else is coming... it's like a magnet.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard somewhere that most "Door Close" buttons are actually there for show and don't really work. But that might have been a ploy to get me to stop pressing it!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah riggggghhhhhhtttt kat you accidentally hit the Door Close button when you saw that person... we know the truth! Isn't this why your a BOTS..:-)
carmie

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

Alright, this morning, as I was leaving for work, I could hear my neighbor, my weird, freaky neighbor who I hate, whose front door is across from the elevator, almost ready to leave. I heard his child say, "Bye Daddy!" as I frantically hit the "Close Door" button, which I know doesn't work. Thankfully he didn't come out until the door was more than halfway across and I couldn't see him - I could just hear the door open... and I just watched the doors close...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home