.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Watermelon Watch


My daily commute takes me past a few different Starbucks. Hardly unusual as there seems to be a Starbucks on every corner these days. Yesterday, while walking past one of the many on my route I happened to glance in the window and amongst all the yuppies drinking their venti, soy, double shot lattes was a woman eating an ENTIRE watermelon. Not just a slice, not a fruit salad but an ENTIRE watermelon. My first thought was how the hell do you cut a watermelon with a plastic knife - those fvckers don't cut through shit! My second thought was that no one else seemed to think that this was strange. Not another person was giving her a second look. Is this some kind of new fad diet? You eat an entire watermelon and nothing else. So today as I'm trudging through the rain I come to the same Starbucks and there she is. The Watermelon Lady. Sitting there, reading her paper eating an ENTIRE watermelon as if it was no more unusual than having a muffin with her coffee. I know it's hard to see in this picture because it was taken in the rain through a window but this woman has absolutely NO Starbucks products at her table. Just water, a giant watermelon and plastic utensils. Of course again I was the only one who seemed to notice this! WTF?? So now I'm offically on watermelon watch! I will be checking to see if the Watermelon Lady makes another appearance. Next time I just might have to go in there and ask her about it.

8 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger v said...

I think you should totally ask her about it. She's probably a very colorful character.

Then again, it is New York City.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Yes, please do ask her! If she's doing that, on a regular basis as if it's perfectly reasonable, lord only knows what Else she's doing that you can report to us! :)

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Spill The Beans said...

Nothing you people up there do surprises me anymore. ;)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Kat in da Hat said...

It has to be a diet. Some woman in my office has been drinking fennel (sp?) tea since Monday...nothing else.

I'm in on the watermelon!

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Maria said...

First of all I would like to comment on the fact that the lady was eating a watermelon in NY in May- definitely NOT the season for watermelons in general.Since I'm coming from Greece and we eat a lot during summer I can surely tell you that the one she was eating was tasting like pure water!No taste at all!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Darwin said...

Bloody hell, watermelons are hard to cut through with decent knives, how the hell did she manage it with a plastic knife?!

Pray she does it again and you actually ask her what its all about and how she cuts it!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Yeah, we're going to need you to use that NYC bravado that we all know and love, and get the details!

 
At 6:48 AM, Anonymous tahari said...

She may be on one of those fad diets like the watermelon diet. But a whole melon?? Come on! Give us all a break. There's no dang way one lady can eat an entire watermelon w/out having to pay the price in the end! Pun intended, lol.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home