.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Thief!!


For those of you wno have never experienced Grand Central Terminal during rush hour, let me paint you a picture. In order to get to the subways you have to swipe your Metrocard through the turnstile - Metrocards are the only method of payment accepted. Sounds easy right? Not nearly. First of all the entrance I go through (yes I'm there are others that I could go to but I'm lazy and this is the closest) is one of the busiest there is. Hundreds of people are trying to get through about 12 turnstiles. People pile up and people get really angry when you hold up the line. You see, the metrocard doesn't always work as smoothly as it should. Sometimes you get error messages like "Please Swipe Again" or "Please Swipe Again at this Turnstile" or the dreaded "Insufficent Fare". Really this could be one of the most stressful parts of my day. You shuffle towards the turnstile, metrocard in hand poised to swipe as quickly as possible lest you be the fool that fumbles for your card holding up the line and drawing the ire of your fellow passengers. When you are unfortunate enough to be this person, well let's just say it's not pretty. This is the one time when you will truly see the NY attitudes come out.
So now on to the "Thief" portion of my blog. There are a couple of different types of metrocards - you have the weekly or monthly unlimited cards which are exactly as that - unlimited rides for that period. However, you have to wait 18 minutes in between uses. This is so there is no sharing of the card. The other type is pay as you go - $2 for each ride. *God this is a long blog - hope you guys are sitll reading* So anyway the other night I was waiting to go through the turnstile. There were two people ahead of me a man, then a woman and then me. The guy swiped his card and I saw one of those dreaded error messages flash but the women ahead of me wasn't paying close attention and was doing her part to keep up with the flow and she just swiped her card - an unlimted card! So the guy actually went through on HER card! He KNEW what happened! He turned around gave her an "Oh well" look and said thanks for the ride and took off! I know it's ONLY $2 but this woman now had to either wait 18 minutes or go and buy a $2 single ride card so she could get on the subway. I felt so bad for her. If that asshole had had any amount of decency he would have given her HIS metrocard to swipe but not this fvcker! He took his free ride and took off! The woman yelled "Fvcking thief!" and went to go and purchase her single ride card. I couldn't get a picture of the guy - it all happened too quickly so here's a picture of the metrocard screen - it says "GO" the message you get from using an unlimited ride card.

16 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Bastard!

You shoulda used your card, gone through, and pummeled his ass on behalf of the other lady! ...Or at least held him up until she got through with her fare and collected her $2 from him in the form of a swift kick to the nuts!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

i second the kick in the nuts vote

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Pookie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a jerk!!!
carmie

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger FatMom said...

What a complete dill-hole!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger v said...

Wow. You New Yorkers are so lovable.

Seriously, what a douchebag.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Jay said...

That blows.

You know, I'm glad the subway works differently here- I would SO be the girl who holds up everyone, everytime.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Spill The Beans said...

This story would have been so much better if she'd chased him down and beaten him senseless with her briefcase.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Softball Slut said...

I vote for beating. NO judge would have would have convicted her, esp if they had to take the Subway. I live in Austin, TX and I have never been on a subway in my life and they seem very daunting but I love to hear the stories from you big city folks. ;) Amazes me how people live like that. As for the guy, karma is a b*tch man.

Darth Va Jay Jay Putas

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger TheIdleReceptionist said...

What an asscrumb!!!

A pox upon him.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

total asshat!! What is WRONG with people. gah. P.S. Came here from Diary of the Nello.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Kat said...

That really pissed me off. I hate that guy! What an effing cocksucker!

And "Please Swipe Again at this Turnstile" is the bane of my existence.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Manic Mom said...

Very cool blog. Found you from Cool Kelly Nello. THanks for the laughs!

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Lena said...

What a dickwad.

Does make me miss the city though. Is that weird? ;)

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Genevieve said...

Hmmm, so this is what it's like in a subway in NY. I love hearing about these things :)

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Starshine said...

I love how you try to capture moments with your camera phone!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home