.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Hometown Hero


Billy Joel was born May 9th, 1949 in the Bronx. His family later moved to Long Island where he spent his childhood. Why is he a hometown hero? Not only has he provided us with countless bar classics - who hasn't belted out their own version of Piano Man while swaying drunkenly with friends at least once in their life? Only the Good Die Young? Keepin' the Faith? So many classics! He has also given a lot back to his community (yes, aside from the numerous car crashes over the past few years). He has invited young cancer patients on his boat for an afternoon of crusining around Long Island Sound. Billy has also started the Billy Joel Endowment Fund which provided scholarships and endowments for music education. A great American singer/songwriter who is still rocking the stage at 57 having recently sold out a record breaking 12 shows at Madison Square Garden here in NYC. Oh and I just really love his music and since I write this blog I can pick anyone I want!

7 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Working in a bar renowned for karaoke, not only have I drunkenly belted out "Piano Man" while stumbling home on occasion, I have also heard a great many REALLY AWFUL drunken versions sung by others... Classic.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

I have mad love for the Billy Joel (I was going to say BJ, because I love using people's initials instead of names, but. Then I realized his initials were BJ.). And frankly, I think our musicians are better when they're drunk so everyone can get off his ass about that whole drinking thing.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pookie great choice...
carmie

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I am with you Pookie.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Virenda said...

I LOVE me some Billy Joel.

Girl, his songs stay with me when I'm drunk. There has been countless drunken debauchery song singing fun filled nights.

Good times. Good times.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Kat in da Hat said...

Dammit Pook! I would make this loser a B!tch I Hate. I go away for a long weekend and you slip this ba$tard in under the radar! He's ugly, his songs are played out (yes, yes, I know I've swayed drunkenly to them, but the key word is "drunkenly"). BLECH!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Frankie B said...

Even though he started his 1986 concert at the Boston Garden ragging on us for the Met's World Series win that year, He has been my very favorite singer/songwriter growing up. I began listening to him when he put out 52nd st. and I am still waiting for a new album from him

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home