.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Over-the-Shoulder Reader

I've been a very disgruntled subway passenger the past couple of weeks. This morning, by some miracle, I got a seat on the train. This is a rare occurence so I was very happily settling in to read my book. Usually I'm hanging on a pole or if I'm lucky I get one of those spots where I can lean undisturbed - have I ever mentioned how lazy I can be in the mornings. So anyway, I'm on one of those end seats and at the next stop a guy gets one and comes to stand next to where I'm sitting. All of the sudden I get the feeling like i'm being watched so I look up and the bastard is reading my book over my shoulder! Are you kidding me? It's a book that I'm in the middle of! How can this possibly be of interest to him without having read the first 100 pages! So I look up and give him the raised eyebrows (we all know this roughly translates to "Mind your own business" in this situation). The asshole quickly looks away. Back to my book. And yet again I feel this guy's eyes on me! Now I can almost understand if I was reading a newspaper - it's still rude but at least then I would say maybe he's looking at the headlines but a book?? So now I look up and say "Can I help you?" And he stammers "Uh I was just looking at your book." "Yes I noticed and it's annoying." "Ummm sorry" A few minutes peace and he's back at it again. At this point I give him my best BOTS look, loudly close my book at put it away. What the fvck asshole, pick up one of those free papers to read in the morning and leave me the hell alone!

13 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Liz said...

What kind of tool repeatedly violates the over-the-shoulder reading rule? I mean I would understand if maybe he violated it repeatedly with 3 different people, but 3 times for just you?? That's ridiculous.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said...

but...but...was he HOT????

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Jolie Etta said...

what a fucking moron! Kudos to you!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

What book were you reading?

And... I would have had your back if you'd slapped him.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Kat Sans Hat said...

I love you girls. You have huge metaphorical balls. I usually just shoot some dirty looks and leave it at that.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Pookie said...

Liz - I KNOW! That bastard!

Brenda - he was so NOT cute!

Jolie - Thank you! Some one has to start standing up to these assholes!

MB - I'm reading the Messiah Code. One of those random books that I borrowed from some one - it's actually pretty decent.

Kat SH - Some times the dirty look just doesn't cut it! But I happen to be very fond of the dirty look myself! :o)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger markus said...

omg! i must confess! i am a total OTS reader! please don't hate me.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger TheIdleReceptionist said...

Ew, what a perv. He was probably looking at you. Check out Mimi's nasty experience on the el!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger The Ghosts of Blogs Past said...

Are you sure it wasn't Peter Braunstein?

Oh, I love how the tabloids are now just calling him "The Fiend," like he's a Batman character.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger v said...

Maybe that was his pick-up stratergery.

I guess it worked marvelously.

Seriously though, you New Yorkers really get the annoying characters.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger The Ghosts of Blogs Past said...

Hey all -- have you seen this site, hollabacknyc.blogspot.com? What a useful service. They're supposed to be posting one of my relayed encounters once we find compatible google image art. -- L

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL LOL getting the seat was to good to be true....
carmie

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Cyber Mule said...

LOL

Beautiful! A girl of my own heart!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home