.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

B!tch on the Street

Days and nights in New York City are tough enough without having to deal with all the sh!t this city dishes up. B!tch on the Street tells the tale of two ladies making their way through this crazy town...one freak at a time.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Any way to make a buck..


You have to love the entrepreneurial spirit of this city. I've seen people selling everything from CD's to potato peelers (little old man with a box and variety of fruits and vegetables to peel - he was so cute I almost bought one!) So the other day I was walking down the street and came across this news stand. I was waiting to cross the street and happened to glance down and see the sign above. The box is filled with outdated magazines. I know that the pic isn't the greatest but the sign reads "Read a Mags? Here 1$ Mag" You know BOTS couldn't pass this one up...

Pookie: Umm excuse me, what exactly does this sign mean?

News stand lady: You pay $1 and read magazine.

Pookie: Do I have to read it here?

News stand lady: Yes you read here.

Pookie: Can I take it to the bench over there and read it?

News stand lady: NO you read HERE!

Pookie: Ok so how long do I get?

News stand lady: 10 minute.

Pookie: I have to pay you $1 but I only get to read for 10 minutes? Thats not even long enough to read a whole article. Does anyone actually pay for this? I mean I guess I could see if the magazines were recent and there was only one article that you wanted to read then maybe this would make sense but only if you were a speed reader. (Damn anyone remember speed reader from the Great Space Coaster? I LOVED that show - I think it was the last thing I willingly work up early for.)

News stand lady: OK you go now.

Pookie: But what if I wanted to read for 10 minutes?

News stand lady: No, you go now. I got headache.

Pookie: Ummm ok.

Pookie got the boot but I also got a laugh out of it!

12 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Kat Sans Hat said...

No way! You guys see the weirdest sh*t! That is HILARIOUS, Pookie. Where was this?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

were they at least GOOD old mags? like, gossip mags from the weeks that interesting things happened? Or were they pure drivel?

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger gabsmash said...

That has to be one of the funniest ever!! Wtf??

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger v said...

so did you see anyone actually pay 1 dollar for the 10 minutes of reading time?

still, waaaaay too funny.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Pookie said...

Kat SH - i can't remember the exact street I was at but its on the East side in the lower 40's - I'll see if I can find it again tonight to tell you exactly where.

MB - NO they weren't good magazines - well good in my opinion being US, People etc..It was mostly sports magazines, fitness mags, Time you know that crap!

Gabs, I know! Too funny!

TG8 - where ya been? I did not actually see anyone pay $1 for 10 minutes.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Liz said...

$1 would be reasonable if you got a place to sit, and a good CURRENT mag... otherwise that's a joke.

Hilarious that you gave the old lady a headache and she told you to leave, though!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Anhoni Patel said...

This is bizarre and hilarious. I liked how she shooed you off- like you were the crazy, irate one. What's even better is that they weren't even NEW magazines, but old ones. WTF? Ah, I love NY.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger brendalove@gmail.com said...

You should go back and tell her that you can go to the freakin' LIBRARY and read them for free!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Anything to make a buck huh?
She probably collected the mags from the trash behind the library!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pookie...classic...just classic..hahahhaaha
carmie

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger markus said...

did anybody fall for this shit?

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Michael K said...

$1?! I can do that shit for free at Barnes and Nobles and use their bathroom!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home